Sunday

Give the Malt-O-Meal Guy a Second Chance

When it comes to groceries, I am a big cheapo. I buy the off brand of everything unless it is a steal, and am always appauled at how much grocery stores charge for basic necessities. Anyhow, I found a great steal today! I was at Winco fighting the crazies (yes, pray for me please), and I needed to get some cereal for Aiden to snack on. Cereal is one of those items that drive me crazy how much they charge. I am quite sure that it does not cost $4 to produce a box of Cheerios...I know for a fact what oats cost per pound (around $.20 per pound), and I would highly doubt that there is more than 2 pounds of oats in one dumb box of Cheerios. Now I know there are many other costs that go into that box, but $4?? Come on!! Woooooooow Betsy, back to the story. So, I was looking for some cheap cereal to keep in his diaper bag and for some around the house snacking, but I was also hoping to get some with nutritional value greater than cardboard.

I always crack up at the guy who scoots around on the floor in those Malt-o-meal commercials, and tend not to buy that brand much after a serious disappointment with their Captain Cruch knock-off (don't buy it, it is a horrible immitation). But, I was checking out their "Tootie Fruities" (their version of Fruit Loops), and I was pleasantly surprised by a few things. The first was the price, $1.79 for a pretty big bag. Second, absolutely no high fructose corn syrup to be found in the ingredients, sugar was about 5th in line, and all the flavoring was natural! And third, I found out when I got home, was that they are a perfect match for fruit loops! Yum! And yes, Aiden likes them (add that to the slowly growing list of foods he likes, none of which are vegetables)! I always love a good food find!!

No comments:

Post a Comment