Thursday

There's No Replacing Powdered Sugar

Andy and his buddies are going away to Sunriver this weekend for a "man weekend". I know it will involve snowmobiling, probably some or a lot of beer, but beyond that, I'm not asking. And, who knows what they will be eating...probably burgers morning, noon, and night (as long as Cheetos are involved, Andy will be happy as a clam). But, I thought I could do my part to make sure that some sort of breakfast food is available, so today I made some cinnamon rolls. Well, you can't have a cinnamon roll without some sort of yummy glaze or frosting on top, both of which require as the main ingredient, powdered sugar. Getting everything out to make the frosting, I looked up in my baking cupboard for some powerded sugar...none. I looked out in the pantry for some powerered sugar...none. There was no powdered sugar to be had in our house. I looked across the street to see if Andy's mom was home, maybe she would have some...not home. I looked at Aiden and then thought of how increasingly difficult it is to get him in his carseat (he is not a fan), and quickly wiped running into the grocery store from my brain. This seemingly simple task of making some frosting for cinnamon rolls was becoming more difficult than it was worth. The internet provided me with zero recipes for powderded sugar-free frosting, and I couldn't think of a single other topping for those dang rolls. But then, a great idea entered my brain. Powdered sugar comes from regular sugar, and I HAD regular sugar! So, if I could just turn the granulated version into the powdered version using AHH HA, my cuisinart food processor, I would be in the chips!!! So, I processed, and I processed, and I processed, and I about burned the motor up in my poor food processor. Twenty minutes later, all I had to show for it was a kitchen filled with sugar dust, and some powdery gritty sugar. I like the saying "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade"...so I mixed that gritty powdery sugar with some butter and almond extract and frosted those rolls like I had just made the lightest, fluffiest, most delectable frosting ever to grace the tops of cinnamon rolls. And do I think those boys will know the difference? Not a chance.
Moral of the story? Make sure you have powdered sugar on hand, because there is no replacing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment