Monday

Homemade Calzone

I make homemade calzone a lot! Why? 1. It's pretty easy and quick to make 2. The ingredients are fairly inexpensive and extremely flexible 3. I make the darn thing so big that it practically lasts all week (score!) 4. Andy really likes it. Yesterday it was on the dinner menu, so I decided to take my first stab at food blogging.

I make the dough (pizza dough) in my bread machine, I use the recipe in the machine's book that makes enough dough for 2 thick crusted pizzas. The setting takes an hour, so while it's doing its thing, I mix up the sauce. I think that soggy crust is yucko, so I make a pretty thick sauce that doesn't soak in too much by mixing a small can of tomato sauce with a big can (14 oz??) of tomato paste, some oregano, basil, sugar, and crushed red peppers.

When the dough is done, roll it out to twice the size of the calzone you want to make. The dough shouldn't be thinner than about 1/4 inch.

Then, fold it up into quarters, or it's going to be rather tricky to get it onto your baking sheet (either oiled or sprayed with Pam, very important!!)

Then, stick the dough on the pan, placing it so when you unfold it, half of it is hanging off the pan (that is the lid to your calzone).

Spread the sauce on, leave about 1 inch all the way around so you have an area to fold the dough together without sauce oozing out.

And layer it up with goodies!! I used Canadian bacon, spinach, mushrooms, and olives. And, I had some extra sauce, so I "spread" that around a bit too.

And don't forget the cheese!!! And some extra oregano, basil, and crushed red peppers.

Then fold the "lid" over the top of the toppings, lining the edges up reasonably well.

Now, the semi-tricky part, sealing up the edges. So, you fold over about a 2ish inch section back over the top, and sort of jam your finger into the dough so it sticks to itself. Yes, very Julie Child, I know, but it works. Or I suppose you could just crimp it with a fork?? I like this way though because it does an okay job of keeping the sauce and cheese from dribbling out, running off of the pan, and smoking up my house (which happens often around here).

And just keep doing it all the way around...it's easier than it looks, I promise!

Once you have it all sealed up, take a small knife and slice some holes in the top to let the steam escape so you don't end up with the Tacoma Dome of crust over some pizza toppings.

Ready to bake!! Oh ya, way back about 15 minutes ago, you should have preheated the oven to 350. Loosely cover the calzone with foil (may take two sheets if it is really wide), and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take off the foil, and bake for another 20-25 minutes, basically until the top is brown and when you tap on the top, it sounds hollow. This will allow the crust to get mostly done (and prevent a grody soggy bottom crust), but not burn. If you are feeling brave, after the 30 minutes, slide the calzone off of the pan and directly on to the rack, that will really help the crust (and make the leftovers better!).



And here you go, final product!! Get out your largest and flattest serving platter, and slice up!! Bust out the crushed red peppers and ranch (and perhaps a beer) and you've got dinner!!
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment