Sunday

MMMM, Cake

I am a pretty big fan of The Pioneer Woman (http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/). PW is a lady who grew up in the city and then married a cattle rancher in Oklahoma and blogs about her life on the ranch. She is an excellent writer, but even more so, she is an excellent cook. Recipes are a main part of her page, and I have lots of them, and have yet to be disappointed. Maybe it's because they are so very full of calcium?? ie Whole milk, cream, & butter. Mostly her recipes are food that you crave, foods that make you feel good, and are very simple recipes that your grandma would have made for your grandpa.
Yesterday I felt like chocolate cake. I checked in the pantry and I was all out chocolate cake mix, I didn't even have any brownie mix (don't worry, I added it to the grocery list), and cherry chip and white cake were not going to do the trick. So, I made PW's chocolate sheet cake for the first time. I had always wanted to make it, it seemed simple enough, but until a month or so ago, I didn't have a commercial sized rimmed baking sheet, which it calls to use. (those big baking sheets are super handy by the way, I had no idea what I was missing not having one!) No excuses left, I made the cake, and....OH MY!!! I licked the batter bowl and the frosting bowl atleast 4 times each to make sure there wasn't a drop of chocolate yumminess left, and I barely let it cool before I dug in. And I have to say, if you make it, eat it warm, it is like yummy gooey brownies with even yummier chocolate frosting, completely irresistable!!
See???

Just incase you need a quick chocolate fix (I might need one right now), here is the link to the recipe: www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_chocol/

By the way, I swapped the butter in the actual cake for homemade applesauce, and I'm not convinced that butter would make much difference, it was DANG good! And, the baking time is only 20 minutes, and you frost it hot, so it really is a quick and easy cake if you are in a pinch.

1 comment:

  1. i may have had one....ok, 2 pieces when i babysat. it was super good!!!!

    ReplyDelete